Thursday 27 May 2010

A notebook beside my bed and other tips

Hello readers,

First a big thank you for the response to May last posting before 23 May, - over 320 hits on the EBMM Forums site.
Even if there are only a few comments, it'still good to know that my pieces are being read/enjoyed (evey Arts person needs an audience). Not exactly sure what is happening or why, but when good things happen you don't argue too much!

Had a really restless Tuesday night. The "Muse" as it were kept sending me lyrics and lines, so it was up and down the stairs to write them down since in the morning I can't recall them. My wife advises me to keep a notebook and pen beside the bed in case - good tip. Strangely the pieces are to fit into a musical set at the turn of the century, the piece posted today on the Ernie Ball Forum, Current Events, being one of them ("Seems I've Haven't...").

I got two pieces first, then the "book" (storyline) for the musical i.e. the storyline in to which all the songs appear. You'll see this in all the classic musicals - "book and lyrics by..." and up to now.

Makes sense but  - as I gathered from watching the SkyArts Songbook session with Don Black, also Opera on the BBC - in a musical  or Opera the song/lyrics and the music have to reflect the characters and the action on stage. A stand alone song has more freedom to be (not related to a plot or specific character as such)

For some reason thinking about the above I recall once hearing a BBC program by Benny Green, where he would present songs from musicals; one example being a musical concerning graft at City Hall, the money beng stashed in a tin box. The chorus lyrics went:

"In a little tin box, a little tin box,
That a little tin key unlocked..."

Wonder what was that musical and who wrote it?

NB: All contents © Louis J. Casson , Purple Squirrel Poems,

Cryptic Furnace Press 2010 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment